Editing Office Documents from Other Mobile Apps
Editing Office Documents in MS Office on iOS (iPhone or iPad)
Please note: that documents can be edited using the Office365 mobile integration without installing any other App
Pre-Requisites for the below steps: SME File Fabric (or branded) App installed
1. Ensure you have a recent valid login to the File Fabric App that is installed and then launch the MS Office App and choose ‘Open’, and in the 'Places' Column choose ‘More’.
2. On the subsequent screen choose ‘Browse’ and when there click on'Locations' on the top left. This will open up the available locations of which ’SME' is one (If it is not turned on you may need to turn it on via the slider before accessing it).
3. Once enabled you can click on SME from Locations and you can browse files within the File Fabric and you can choose the office file to edit.
4. All updates will be save back to the original cloud location and if versioning is enabled the original will be versioned.
Editing Office Documents in MS Office on Android Phones and Tables
Pre-Requisites: SME File Fabric (or branded) App installed
- Ensure you have recent SME File Fabric App login.
- This will open the Android stock file view tab and if you click in the top left to see the locations SME. From here click and access office files directly from your SME File Fabric account and choose one to edit.
- All updates will be save back to the original cloud location and if versioning is enabled the original will be versioned.
Editing Document on iWork on iOS (Pages, Number, iWork)
Although iWork can also access the Locations feature and therefore the SME Location this is not the best way to access files because updates will not be save back to the original destination but will remain in iCloud.
The best way to configure any of the iWork Apps for Th File Fabric is to use Webdav.
Pre-Requisites: WebDav is enabled on the File Fabric
- Launch the iWork App
- Click on 'WebDav'
- Click on 'Connect to WebDav Server'
- Enter your File Fabric server address, username and password (see here for further info)
You will now have access to your File Fabric files using WebDav and any changes will be saved back to the original location and original files will be versioned if versioning is turned on.
Other Mobile Office Editing Apps
Other mobile office editing Apps may also work and be configured for us with iOS and Android. For example WPS Office for Android and iOS can be configured with WebDav to provide direct editing and updating for File Fabric files.
All Apps edited in this way will still be tracked from an event viewpoint and entries generated by using Apps in this way can be viewed in the Audit Logs